HONcode Principles: Quality and trustworthy health information
HealthNewstrack.com comply with the HONcode principles for trustworthy health information.
|We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health|
Health On the Net Foundation (HON) is a not-for-profit organization founded in 1995 and based in Switzerland. The stated mission of the foundation is to help both laypersons and medical practitioners find useful and reliable medical and health information online.
HON Foundation issued a code of conduct (HONcode) for medical and health Web sites to address reliability and usefulness of medical information on the Internet. HONCode is not designed to rate the veracity of the information provided by a Web site. Rather, the code only states that the site holds to the standards, so that readers can know the source and purpose of the medical information presented.
The principles of the HONcode are:
– Authority – information and advice given only by medical professionals, or a clear statement if this is not the case
– Complementarity – information and help are to support, not replace, patient-healthcare professional relationships which is the desired means of contact
– Attribution – references to source of information (URL if available online)
– Justifiability – any treatment, product or service must be supported by balanced, well-referenced scientific information
– Transparency of authorship – contact information, preferably including email addresses, of authors should be available
– Transparency of sponsorship
– Honesty in advertising and editorial policy
Health On the Net Foundation was granted on 23rd July 2002 NGO status by the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations.
Editor Health NewsHONcode
by Editor Health News ( Author at Health Newstrack )
Posted on July 21st, 2015 at 1:08 am.
Back to Top
More to read: