The UK’s leading dementia charities united with eminent scientists to urge the government to commit to a national dementia research strategy and triple annual investment to ?96 million in five years.
The Alzheimer’s Research Trust and Alzheimer’s Society revealed that the UK government lags behind France, Germany and the US in dementia research funding and has no plans for the future. They called on the government to exploit the UK’s huge scientific talent and lead the world in the race for a cure.
In a joint statement launched ahead of the government’s forthcoming Dementia Research Summit due to take place this summer, the charities set out priorities and opportunities for dementia research. Significant opportunities in dementia research include improving diagnosis, genetic research, improving care, and utilising the NHS in clinical trials.
Neil Hunt, Chief Executive of Alzheimer’s Society, says,
‘Dementia is the health challenge of our generation, it is absolutely vital that dementia research funding is tripled. One million people will develop dementia in the next ten years, yet the government invests just 2% of its medical research budget on dementia.
The Dementia Research Summit must be more than just a talking shop. It is a crucial opportunity for the government, charities and stakeholders to commit to a shared vision for dementia research. We need an ambitious plan that drives change and defeats this devastating condition.’
The Alzheimer’s Research Trust and Alzheimer’s Society’s joint statement calls for
– A comprehensive plan that addresses cause, cure, care and public health research.
– Joint engagement by the government, the research community, charities, people with dementia, carers and pharmaceutical companies to make this happen.
– Actions to make NHS patients routinely aware that they may participate in research studies.
– Steps to support and grow the dementia research community to meet the growing research demands over the next five years.
Source: Alzheimer’s Research Trust, UK
- « Passive smoking linked to dementia
- Intellectual ability test in early 20s may predict dementia risk »
Editor Health NewsDementia research funding must triple, UK
by Editor Health News ( Author at Health Newstrack )
Posted on July 6th, 2009 at 10:12 am.
Track Health News on: Dementia