California Governor signed AB 97 by Asm. Mendoza, which will phase out the use of trans fats in all CA restaurants beginning in 2010. Scientific evidence demonstrates a strong association between the consumption of artificial trans fat and the development of coronary heart disease and stroke.
“California is a leader in promoting health and nutrition, and I am pleased to continue that tradition by being the first state in the nation to phase out trans fats,” Governor Schwarzenegger said. “Consuming trans fat is linked to coronary heart disease, and today we are taking a strong step toward creating a healthier future for California.”
Scientific evidence demonstrates a strong association between the consumption of artificial trans fat and the development of coronary heart disease and stroke, as well as other chronic conditions such as diabetes. According to the New England Journal of Medicine, eliminating artificial trans fats from the food supply could prevent between six and 19 percent of heart attacks and related deaths each year. Coronary heart disease is California’s leading cause of death, and AB 97 will be a strong step toward removing this harmful substance from the foods that Californians purchase and consume.
The Governor’s leadership has put in place some of the nation’s most innovative and successful strategies to promote health and nutrition. The Governor has:
– Established the toughest school nutrition reforms in the nation, taking junk food and sugary sodas off our campuses.
– Banned trans fat and food fried in unhealthy oils in school meals.
– Invested millions of dollars in fresh fruits and vegetables in school meals.
– Adopted the first-ever physical education standards.
– Convened a Summit on Health, Nutrition and Obesity where leaders of public and private sector organizations made significant commitments to change core business practices to help achieve a healthier California.
– Reinvigorated the Governor’s Council on Physical Fitness and Sports, which focuses on rewarding positive leadership in implementing healthy living in youth.
– Proposed a comprehensive health care reform plan that emphasizes prevention and wellness.
Source: Office of the Governor, California, USA